Reading regularly can help students develop understanding of content and build comprehension and vocabulary skills. As students move towards the end of the school year, and standardized testing, they should focus on reading texts from a variety of genres in fiction, nonfiction, and poetry. Take a look at some of the best books for 5th grade readers below:
18 Best Books for Fifth Grade Readers
Best 5th Grade Fiction Books
Reading fiction can help you in a lot of ways and not just as an enjoyable pastime. Fiction can open the doors to your creativity, create and follow through with your goals, and increase your attention span.
- The Book of Bad Things by Dan Poblocki
- Mark of the Thief by Jennifer A Nielson
- Bangalee by Stephen Cosgrove
- Strays Like Us by Richard Peck
- Chronicles of the Red King: The Stone of Ravenglass by Jenny Nimmo
- Wolven by Di Toft
- The Tyrant’s Daughter by JC Carleson
- Supernaturalist by Eoin Colfer
Best 5th Grade Nonfiction Books
Although nonfiction can seem boring, they can help you learn how others have experienced the world and that can shape your thinking.
- Little Green: Growing up During the Chinese Revolution by Chun Yu
- Andy Warhol by Linda Bolton
- Vincent’s Starry Night and Other Stories: A Children’s History of Art by Michael Bird
- Sachiko: A Nagasaki Bomb Survivor’s Story by Caren Stelson
- Grayson by Lynne Cox and Sean Yule
Best 5th Grade Poetry Books
Poetry can span a variety of genres and forms. In addition to being fun to read, poetry can also help you learn to read between the lines.
- Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson
- Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai
- Love that Dog by Sharon Creech
- The Red Pencil by Andrea Davis Pinkney
- May B by Caroline Starr Rose
What are your favorite fiction, nonfiction, and poetry books for 5th Grade readers?
Author: Nicole Acevedo, Teacher Manager at A Grade Ahead