When considering enrolling your student in an after-school enrichment program, you might wonder if it’s really worth it. Of course, you as the parent know what is absolutely best for your child, but if you are on the fence and wondering, “What’s in it for them?” then check out the following list.
Things Students Can Gain from After-School Enrichment Programs:
- Knowledge: This might be an obvious one, and the one you are signing up for in the first place, but it is true nonetheless. Enrichment programs focus on building skills that children already have, providing challenges in order to further increase knowledge of a subject.
- Persistence: Most after-school enrichment programs attempt to provide consistent and engaging challenges that are appropriate for a child’s skill level. Because of this, the child is constantly encouraged not to give up and to keep working to achieve bigger goals.
- Problem-Solving Skills: Because after-school enrichment programs focus on challenging a student to increase skills that are already present, students will have to use problem-solving skills to arrive at answers or conclusions. This helps build problem-solving skills and confidence, both of which lead to overall success!
- Team Work: Many times, after-school enrichment programs are in a small-group setting, which is different than after-school tutoring. Because students are enrolled with other children of the same skill level, they learn to work together to achieve success.
- Friendships: This builds on number 4. After-school enrichment programs focus on building skills in a specific subject area, and in the small group setting, strong friendships can be built because students share similar interests (like Math,English, or Science) and work together to achieve similar goals in the program.
- Motivation: Because of the consistent work (some after-school enrichment programs even provide homework!) that after-school enrichment programs provide, students get plenty of practice in an area. They are also constantly advancing, which can make them motivated to continue working to achieve their maximum potential.
- Increased Interest in School: Because of the confidence and motivation that after-school enrichment programs provide, students show an increased interest in academics at school. They may be less hesitant in a certain subject area because of the confidence they have gained, or they may advance more quickly in a subject.
- Improved Grades: You guessed it! Increased motivation and academic interest can combine to improve students’ grades. This is furthered by the increased practice that after-school enrichment programs can provide, which can lead to more fluent and accurate work.
- Independence: Through gained knowledge, problem-solving abilities, and increased motivation, students enrolled in an after-school enrichment program can gain independence. This is important, as it helps them develop their own unique thoughts and ideas.
- Time-Management Skills: A good after-school enrichment program requires homework to reinforce lessons learned. By learning to juggle this additional work with their school work and extracurricular activities, students gain time-management skills that will serve them throughout their lives.
What do you think? Would you like to see your child improve in any of these areas? Are you interested in enrolling your child in an after-school enrichment program? Are you already having success with one? Let us know in the comments!
Author: Emily Karth, Writer and Teacher at MathWizard, Inc.