Everyone knows that July 4th is always a huge celebration in America, as it marks the passing of another year as an independent nation, free from the rule of Great Britain. In honor of 2016 being the 240th anniversary of our freedom, we have compiled a few odd, surprising, and shocking facts about the process to freedom and the holiday itself that you may not know.
THE 4TH OF JULY: THROUGH THE NUMBERS
- July 2nd, 1776: the Declaration of Independence was voted on
- July 4th, 1776: the Declaration was approved.
- 56 signatures on the Declaration of Independence
- 13 were 35 or younger and 7 were 60 or older
- 1941: the year Congress declared Independence Day a federal holiday
- 2 Founding Fathers, Thomas Jefferson and John Adams, died exactly 50 years after freedom was won- July 4th, 1826.
- 150 million hot dogs are eaten on each Independence Day across America
- As many as 1,000 firework shells are launched per second.
Author: Janelle Homier, Marketing and Center Assistant at MathWizard, Inc.