Reading at home is one of the best tools for learning English! Not only does reading at home improve comprehension and writing skills, but it also increases vocabulary. In fact, reading for just 10 minutes can expose kids to thousands of words!
LEARNING ENGLISH FOR KIDS: CHECK OUT MORE DATA ON THE EDUCATIONAL IMPACT OF READING!
- The number of children who read at home every day drops by over 50% from elementary to high school.
- Fifth graders who tested above the 90th percentile read over 20 minutes every day.
- Only 19% of 17 year olds read at home for pleasure.
- Reading books, magazines, or newspapers exposes kids to more than 5 times as many uncommon words as regular speech! That’s 2-3 times as many as TV!
- Kids who read 1 hour a day at home see over 4 million words a year!
Tell us: How has reading affected your child’s English language arts skills? (To make a comment, click on the header of the post and a comment box will appear.)
Author: Elizabeth F., Writer and Teacher at MathWizard, Inc.